Chandrayaan: 2 Vikram lander

0
84
Chandrayaan: 2 Vikram lander
Chandrayaan: 2 Vikram lander

Only 5% Of Chandrayaan 2 Lost, Orbiter Can Take Moon Pics: ISRO Official

India’s first attempt to land on the moon may have gone off-script but the ambitious Chandrayaan 2 mission has been far from a flop. With a mission life of at least one year,

The Chandrayaan 2 lunar orbiter remains in operation and will continue to study the Moon from afar, completing experiments to map the surface and study the Moon’s outer atmosphere.

“Only 5 per cent of the mission has ended – Vikram Lander and Pragyan Rover – while the remaining 95 per cent – Chandrayaan 2 orbiter – is successfully orbiting the moon,” said an official of the Indian Space Research Organization. ISRO told news agency IANS.

The orbiter can take many pictures of the moon and send it to ISRO next year. The ISRO official said that the orbiter can take photographs of the lander so that its position can also be ascertained. The rover was only 14 days old inside the lander.

The successful launch of Chandrayaan 2 on the giant GSLV Mark 3 rocket and its entry into lunar orbit will be seen as a testament to India’s frugal space program.

Experts have compared this feat to firing a bullet from a moving train, towards a target hundreds of thousands of kilometers away from another moving train.

The Chandrayaan 2 mission stood out due to its low cost of approximately $ 140 million. The United States spent the equivalent of more than $ 100 billion on its Apollo missions.

The mission also holds great importance for future space exploration missions, including Mars.

On Saturday, the lunar lander lost contact with Vikram before it was due to touch near the lunar south pole. A successful landing would have made India the fourth country after the United States, Russia and China – to successfully land on the moon.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi looked at the operation from ISRO mission control and later asked the scientists not to “lose hope”.

But after several tense minutes, after an estimated landing time of around 1:55 AM, ISRO Chairman K Sivan announced that communication with the lander had been lost.

ISRO admitted before the landing that it was a complex maneuver, which Dr. Sivan called it “15 minutes of terror”.

“It’s suddenly like someone comes and gives you a newborn baby in your hands. Will you be able to hold on without proper support? The baby will move this way, this way but we should hold it,” he said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here